WNAS is the oldest student operated radio station in the world. At 88.1, WNAS came on the air with 100 watts of power in May of 1949. In the late 1950s the power boosted to 800 watts and. The coverage area was enhanced in 1976 to the station’s current power of 2850 watts. Until then, the station only broadcast during the school day, but with the increased power, WNAS began broadcasting on a regular 24/7 schedule. The studio at Floyd Central opened in 1967 when FCHS opened its doors for the first time with Roger Whaley as the first instructor. As of now, the transmitter and tower are located at NAHS and the two schools share transmitter time.
Television was added to the program about 1980 when Cardinal Communications was granted a cable license to operate in Floyd County. A single cable channel was dedicated to educational broadcasting which is now Channel 25 or Digital Channel 12.33.